For the Kadaiff base:
200 grams (7 oz) Kadaiff strands-dough
150 grams (5.25 oz) melted Butter
50 grams (1.75 0z) Powdered sugar
Add melted butter and powdered sugar to the kadaif thin strands. Mix it all with your fingers till all the kadaif is covered with butter and sugar.
Draw several 8 cm circles (3 inch) on a baking sheet. Place it on a baking pan and arrange most of the kadaif dough to form a circle. Save some dough on the side and spread it on the corners (for later decoration).
Bake in medium temperature for 20 minutes. The dough should become brown and crispy (especially after it cools).
Mandarin Crème Patissiere (Pastry cream)
250 ml double cream
100 ml freshly squeezed mandarin juice
125 grams sugar
1 vanilla pod, sliced vertically or 1 tsp vanilla paste/extract
mandarin zest from two mandarins
A pinch of salt
50 grams corn starch
150 ml freshly squeezed mandarin juice
3 egg yolks
50 grams butter
1. Heat the double cream till small bubbles start forming.
2. In the meantime, whisk the corn starch and 150 ml mandarin juice in a bowl and then add the egg yolks and whisk until the mixture becomes pale and light.
3. In a separate saucepan, place the rest of the mandarin juice, the sugar, vanilla, mandarin and a pinch of salt.
4. Pour the boiling double cream into the mixture a little by little while whisking continuously to avoid curdling.
5. Transfer the whole mixture into a pot and heat it over LOW HEAT. Stir it constantly with the wooden spoon or spatula scraping the sides and bottom until it has thickened.
6. Once the custard has thickened, take it off the heat, pour it into a clean bowl, add the butter and stir until well combined.
7. At this point – I like passing the cream through a sieve in order to make sure there are no egg curds. I also pour it to a mixer bowl and whisk on low speed with a K beater.
8. cover it with a plastic wrap and refrigerate it until needed.
TO ASSEMBLE THE TARTS/PIES:
Spread the refrigerated orange cream over the kadaif dough crust. Decorate with strawberries (whole or cut). Heat apricot jam diluted with water and brush over the strawberries for a shiny look – and preservation reasons