Couscous is usually tied to savory dishes but this morning I made myself a fresh couscous fruit salad instead of eating regular cereal.
I used white semolina couscous but feel free to replace it with whole semolina couscous.
– 1 cup COOKED couscous (I make it from scratch – the traditional way – and freeze it in small plastic bags but you can use packaged instant couscous, add boiling water, wait several minutes and then using a fork, “fluff” it to separate the grains).
– 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 3 oranges – cut into fillets (here’s a video that explains how to fillet an orange: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHTrCz0-vvI)
– 3 medjhool dates, skinned, pitted and cut into stripes
– 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (I used this simple Israeli device: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhbwlo6va7I)
– 1/4-1/2 cup roasted (not salted) pistachios
– 1/2 cup chopped fresh Nana/Mint leaves
– 1 Tbsp honey
– 1 Tbsp pomegranate syrup/pomegranate molasses
Add all the ingredients except the honey and pomegranate syrup to the couscous grains but make sure you don’t over-mix because then the couscous will become mushy.
Drizzle honey and pomegranate syrup on top and add more if needed.
I like the tartness of the pomegranate syrup so I added some more.